Thursday, July 17, 2008

when I heard the learn'd astronomer

I thought that this book was creative because Walt Whitman put a poem into a storybook form with many pictures for children to look at. Although I think that this book might be difficult for elementary students to understand because again, it is a poem and not a story. I think that it would be alright to read to elementary students as long as they get an explanation to help them understand the story better. I really did like the artwork though, I thought that it was really well done and that elementary students would probably enjoy looking at the different pictures. I liked the last page where it shows him holding his toy rocket and looking up at the beautiful stars in the sky. Overall, I really liked the book because it is not what you would normally expect and it has great illustrations.

1 comment:

René Saldaña, Jr. said...

It's amazing what present-day artists and illustrators are doing with poets from ages ago. I mean, the artwork is awesome, I agree, but beyond that, Long makes this long ago poem (from the 1850s or so) very relevant today.