Tuesday, July 15, 2008

The Name Jar and I love Saturdays y domingos

I thought that The Name Jar was a great book to teach children about differences in culture. I also think that it shows how much getting the approval of their peers matters to children. This story would be good to read to students to show them the importnace of accepting each other without criticism. I thought that ending was really cute because the Unhei finally realized that she would not find a better name than she already had and she also realized that she truly had a new friend in class.
I Love Saturdays y domingos was really cool because I think that stories like this could be beneficial in teaching young children some of another language at a young age. I liked how on one page there would be a quote in english and then on the following page there would be a quote in spanish. I think that having that type of setup would make it easy to start teaching elementary students some foreign language. Of course I do not think that teachers should go overboard with teaching foreign language to elementary students but I don't think that teaching them simple things would be a bad thing. I also thought that the illustrations in this book were really good.

1 comment:

Amanda J. said...

I really enjoyed what you said about how it would be benificial in teaching young children anther language in the book "I Love Saturdays y domingos By Alma Flor Ada". I also agree that young children should learn simple foreign language words instead of hard foreign language words. Amanda J.